Add Silicon Carbide temperature control mode

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Andrew Pennebaker, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Andrew Pennebaker

Andrew Pennebaker New Member

A new material is making its way into dab buckets: Silicon Carbide (SiC). Unfortunately, stock firmware tends not to know about this option. Except for certain new mods such as the M22 Control Tower.

As a workaround, I have read some users applying Stainless Steel (SS) mode when using SiC buckets. But it would be more convenient for Arctic Fox to provide a built-in, labelled "SiC" mode. When wattage and/or resistance are able to be configured within temp control modes, then it would be helpful to tune a decent default configuration for users of SiC buckets.

2. FearAndLawyering

FearAndLawyering New Member

SiC is not a heating element but an insert type. The reason there are SS and Ni modes are because there are heaters made out of that. The ESCC in the m22 and the DTv5 are two very specific products that utilize sic in a novel way but I would not expect any product specific features

3. HopeforDope

HopeforDope New Member

You can change the name of your profile and you can change the name of your tcr/tfr curve profile. Like the person said above me, the tcr/tfr is based off a heating element's material, not the crucible's material. The ESCC M22 has "real temp control" vs dtv4/5's resistance based temp control. The ESCC actually measures the temperature of the dish, whereas the dtv4/5 uses calculations based on the resistance of the heater coil to estimate the temperature. Hope that helps.