ArcticFox Configuration for macOS and Linux

Discussion in 'macOS / Linux' started by Hobbyquaker, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

Hi!

After building the Arcticfox Monitor I want to go a step further and started to port the Configuration Tool to an Electron App that works on macOS and Linux.

It's still far away from "done", there is a lot of work to do. Until now I implemented major parts of the UI and the download of configuration data. Upload is still missing, also there are a lot of bugs.

If someone is willing to help me testing this Software I would be happy :) I think it will take another 1-2 Weeks until a first beta that can be tested is done. If you're interested in helping me please leave a comment, I will check back here as soon as the first beta is available for download on Github.

https://github.com/hobbyquaker/arcticfox-config

Regards,
    Sebastian

Freakm941, Red White, Xsogs and 7 others like this.
  2. dil3mm4

dil3mm4 Active Member

Good job. Following this.

3. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

Progress was faster than I thought, I just released a first beta for macOS, Linux will follow asap. Would be happy if someone is willing to test it and report bugs on the github issue tracker or here in the forum :)
    Until now some features are still missing, you will see a "Todo" label or popup then ;-)

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  4. sliter

sliter Member

I wish i could build this on windows, but i have some issues with node-hid on node 8.
    Could you provide windows releases also? That would be sweet.

5. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

I guess it could be build for windows too - but I think that makes no sense. On windows you can use the original NFE Toolbox...

Scaldyballs likes this.
  6. sliter

sliter Member

That's right, but it would be cool to see some opensource solution, that can be more customizeable in future

7. joeblowma

joeblowma Member

NFE Toolbox is open source...?

8. sliter

sliter Member

In my message i meant arcticfox-config. It is indeed.

9. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

a short update:
    I just released v1.9.0-beta.0 - this is "feature complete", meaning everything from the original NFE Toolbox Config Tool should be implemented now (except the Logo Editor - this will follow in v2.x). I'm now doing a "feature freeze" and will try to find & fix bugs (help appreciated! :)) in the next 1-2 weeks. As soon as I can't find bugs anymore and nobody reports some I will remove the beta-label and start to work on the logo editor.

maelstrom2001 and Scaldyballs like this.
  10. Scaldyballs

Scaldyballs Member

Wow thats amazing work man, fair play to you.

11. tcvaper

tcvaper New Member

Don't know if it's the same problem I had initially with the arcticfox monitor, but I'm on macos sierra 10.12.5 and as soon as I click on "Connect and download configuration", even on the latest 1.9.0-beta1, I get the error in the screenshot.
    Hope this is an easy fix, I'm really looking forward to be able to configure my mods without having to fire up a VM...
    ss.jpeg

12. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

I guess you have a Nightly Release on your Mod (>=170624), the current release of the macOS Config Tool only supports the Release 170603. Will check back here and inform you as soon as I made a release that supports the newer Firmwares.

13. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

Just released v1.10.0 - this should be compatible with Arcticfox Firmware >= 170624

Gedeon likes this.
  14. tcvaper

tcvaper New Member

Thanks, that fixed it.
    Great work!

15. Outerrim

Outerrim New Member

Can't find the Linux Download,only the Mac Version

16. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

Oh yes, didn't publish a Linux build yet. Have to setup the automatic artifact upload for travis-ci, this is still a little work to do.

Until then you could workaround this by building it yourself. Basically this should be doable like this (prerequisite: Node.js >= 6.0 has to be installed):

git clone https://github.com/hobbyquaker/arcticfox-config
    cd arcticfox-config
    npm install
    node_modules/.bin/electron-rebuild
    npm run dist

after that you should find the executable in the dist folder.

17. Outerrim

Outerrim New Member

Thank you,successfully builded on Archlinux :).But i get an error "No compatible USB Device.In console "ipc download false" Firmware is 170624

Ging super leicht zu bauen :).Vielen dank nochmal

#17 Outerrim, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  18. Hobbyquaker

Hobbyquaker Member

Hmmm... I guess this is some Linux specific problem, permissions, udev or smth. I would suggest to try running it as root - if that works we know that you have to set some permissions or udev rules to make it work under an unprivileged user.

ps.: did the arcticfox-monitor work for you out of the box? This uses the same communication interface - so if the arcticfox-monitor is working arcticfox-config "should" work too...

19. Outerrim

Outerrim New Member

I tried it as root,both works now.Monitor and Config.Yes Permission Problem,i try to figure out.Maybe a missing group as user.The Monitor works out of the box,as root

20. milan

milan New Member

Thanks for your work and for keeping linux users in mind :)
    I built arcticFox-config on Arch64 and while there were some errors during the build process
    (404 for node-hid prebuilt binaries, not found for ajv-keyword, 7zip only for mac or win, exception while building .deb) I still found a working build in linux-unpacked and a tar.gz

It runs nicely, called from the command line there is a message at start about some i18n not found but that's all.
    this is running as user, no root involved.

I tested it on macosx sierra as well and all worked fine, too.

One minor quirk: arcticFox-config won't find the box when articfox-monitor is running the usb cable needs to be dis/reconnected to reset this.

Really grateful here that I can use these w/o starting a win vm, looking forward to see the logo editor. But I still need the windows vm for firmware updates...

dampfan likes this.