Faster Device Monitor polling speed

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Th3_uN1Qu3, May 21, 2018.

1. Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3 New Member

Hello, i am using a power curve with a very short high power burst at the start (roughly 0.3s), and the Device Monitor in NFETools does not pick the initial peak up, it only starts registering from set power downwards. However, the effect of the high power peak on the battery does show in the battery voltage graph.

Can the polling of the actual power be improved, or is this a hardware limitation? I have a Joyetech eVic Primo Mini. I can assist with testing if needed.

Also i have noticed that the power reported by the mod is different (higher) than the "real power" shown in NFETools Device Monitor. Wondering which one would be correct.

2. ReikoKitsune

ReikoKitsune Developer
    NFE Team

Hello,

Polling frequency is 10Hz. This is the optimum frequency that mod can handle. Increasing may cause too much noise and incorrect readings.

Polling is very simple. Firmware accumulating current values and sent them, then 'device monitor' show them.

3. Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3 New Member

Thank you for your answer.

I did notice that in the latest version of NFE Tools polling speed seems to be improved somehow, or maybe it is just because of using it on a better computer. I am now able to see a small ramp-up from low power up to the setpoint on my eVic Primo Mini, which explains why my new mod (eLeaf Power 80W, also running ArcticFox) gives better taste and seems more powerful despite using the same settings and the same atomizer. The eLeaf also has that ramp sometimes, but it is sharper and most of the time it is not picked up by Device Monitor at all. I would guess that this ramp is a kind of soft-start, maybe to give time for the short circuit protection to kick in.

It seems like on the Primo Mini the actual power is a good 6-7W lower than the setpoint, regardless if running with a power curve or simple fixed wattage. On the eLeaf, the reported value in Device Monitor is just 1W lower than the setpoint, which is a lot better. Since you are saying that the reported values are read directly from the firmware, it means that the Joyetech device is lying about the output power a bit...

I have repaired my eVic Primo Mini last night and there is still room for improvement, the reason i bought another mod in the first place is that the Primo Mini has a mechanical issue with the atomizer connection which IMHO is a design flaw. I will make a detailed post about the repairs and modifications once i bring it to satisfactory performance, it is still a "work in progress" now.