How to - NFE Tools & ArcticFox in macOS

Discussion in 'macOS / Linux' started by spalife, Mar 23, 2018.

1. topgunner222

topgunner222 New Member

Thanks for the guide, it didn’t work for me outright but was a solid guideline for the direction I had to go in.

Just a heads up for anyone experiencing similar issues:

Wine created a directory “/Users/<username>/.wine” on my system as opposed to “wine32“, I just changed out that little bit in the terminal.

It also wouldn’t run when using “~/.wine” in the command, I had to provide an absolute path, i.e. “/Users/<username>/.wine“

2. magaro

magaro New Member

To make the start procedur more comfortible 5. and 7. commands in i.e. BBEdit and save as <name> .command - now you can start NFETools with double click.

Attached Files:

3. Altesean

Altesean New Member

I struggled with this for a little while, it sort of worked but not really, functions like the material editor and the device monitor would not work, after much frustration I finally found that it was from missing fonts during the .Net install!

If your having trouble try to add the 'corefonts' command to the end of the dotnet40 install command.

$env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks --unattended dotnet40 corefonts

From the WineHQ how to install .NET page.
    https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17886

Also for the .Command file if anyone is interested here is mine which requires it to be in the same folder as the toolbox (make a alias and store it anyplace you want to launch it from), but works on every computer and even if you move around the toolkit. You will need to make this executable by executing "chmod u+x /path/to/file/NFEToolkitMac.Command" in a terminal prompt before you can execute it.

NFEToolkitMac.Command
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    cd "$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" >/dev/null && pwd )"
    env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEDEBUG=-all wine NToolbox.exe
    To auto close the Terminal window when the toolkit closes, go to Terminal>Perferences>Profiles>Choose profile marked as default or mark your favorite as default>Shell>When the shell Exits: "Close if the shell exited cleanly" then close.

#23 Altesean, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  4. Altesean

Altesean New Member

Added more to the .Command file to check full dependancies, meaning no manual install steps are required prior.

NFEToolkitMac.command

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#Checks to see if Command line tools are installed.
    [ -x "$(xcode-select -p)" ] || xcode-select --install

#Checks to see if Homebrew is installed.
    [ -x "$(command -v brew)" ] || /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

#Checks to see if Wine is installed.
    [ -x "$(command -v wine)" ] || brew install wine

#Checks to see if WineTricks is installed.
    [ -x "$(command -v winetricks)" ] || brew install winetricks

#Checks to see if .NET is installed in wine prefix
    [ -z "$(env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks list-installed |grep dotnet)" ] && env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks --unattended dotnet40 corefonts

#Opens folder of script as the working directory.
    cd "$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" >/dev/null && pwd )"

#Launches NToolbox
    env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEDEBUG=-all wine NToolbox.exe

#To uninstall execute the following lines uncommented.
    #env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks annihilate
    #ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/uninstall)"

Attached Files:

spalife likes this.
  5. spalife

spalife New Member

Nicely done,
    should help out in debugging installation / launching the application

6. pnewb

pnewb New Member

I had the same _exact_ problem. For me it was running Karabiner (https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/). That app grabs USB signals (specifically keyboard) and mangles them before other things in the OS get ahold of them. Kill the running Karabiner process and everything worked just fine. Maybe that's your exact problem...or maybe you are also running some similar program that's modifying what comes in over the USB bus. Worth checking out.