How to use Shunt Correction

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by MikeD, Jun 12, 2020.

1. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Right now im looking at steam engine for my coil and putting the resistance I says into my AF config. Then adjusting shunt correction till cold resistance in device monitor reads the steam engine value. But is this the correct way to use it?

2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

No.

3. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Is there a guide outside of the manual? I cant find much info about a lot of the settings.

4. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Also there is a checkbox that just says 'smart'. Its next the preheat. What does it do? Im assuming its not the same smart as the profile switching.

5. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Nope. This feature is intended to equalize resistance measurements between your mods, not with your mod and some online calculator.
    So please understand: there is a huge difference between a number that you got from Steam Engine and the real precise resistor you screw instead of coil in your atomizer for calibration procedure. And until you have such resistor and calibrated the box with it, do not believe either the box or the Steam Engine.
    https://nfeteam.org/forum/threads/preheat-over-time.3255/
    A simple question: you made coil from NiFe 48 alloy. Steam Engine does not provide info on this coil material, so you can't get cold resistance value. Which value you'll use?

#5 maelstrom2001, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  6. MikeD

MikeD New Member

Thanks, ill look for such a resistor.

7. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

And again, do not believe Steam Engine or other coil calculators. We're living in the real, not an ideal universe.