iKonn 220W coming soon. Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Majkl1st, Jun 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Majkl1st

Majkl1st New Member

I noticed the size of the newcoming Alien-like's display. It's sideways, though obviously bigger than Pico or iStick displays are. Will NFETeam consider including display layout and presets for iKonn in future versions of ArcticFox? Let this mod be true Alien-killer, a loveletter to bigass Smok by cheapass eLeaf :)

Random likes this.
  2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Yes, 128x32 resolution will be supported soon, Pico 25 and iKonn 220 are the early birds :D

Majkl1st likes this.
  3. joeblowma

joeblowma Member

Is it just me, or does iKonn 220 look like an alien and pico had a child? :eek:

Majkl1st likes this.
  4. ReikoKitsune

ReikoKitsune Developer
    NFE Team

Pico 25 and alien ^^

joeblowma likes this.
  5. spado

spado Member

I just received a Pico 25 and Cuboid Tap. Indeed I am available for any testing that may be needed.
    The Cuboid Tap carries the new 1.3" screen, but from my research I'd assume it still is a 128x64 SSD1306, so there should be no need for any adjustment in the UI. It does however introduce the new Taptec pressure sensor paired with vibration, as well as the pressure sensitive side area, which Joyetech uses for the new "combinations" to access the various menus.
    It would be a great idea to be able to configure this side area squeezing to either just fire or to access the menu (perhaps two squeezes for menu and a prolonged one for firing).

6. spado

spado Member

Follow up. As suggested from this image:
    0x119.jpg
    The screen is indeed 64x128 , but trying to --no-verify-aprom flash with python-evic Arctic Fox to the Cuboid Tap does not show any sign of life (not even the screen on), so I wouldn't know if that depends on a new screen type or other reasons.
    Anyway, these are dataflashes files from:

7. ReikoKitsune

ReikoKitsune Developer
    NFE Team

Why you decide that:
    1. ArcticFox supports cuboid tap / pico 25?
    2. You can install ArcticFox via python-evic without any issues? (also with --no-verify-aprom key)

8. spado

spado Member

I didn't decide that. I know it doesn't support either one (especially the Pico 25 cause of the new screen resolution).
    But I was hoping to test if the screen would turn on or not (or even better if it had worked through NFE Tools' Arctic Fox Configuration, maybe just the fire button, not the new input types).
    As to the second point, I don't have enough technical knowledge to understand, I had assumed they just flash the .bin to the flash, but NFE Tools rightflully verifies that the firmware is compatible, without any --no-verify option, so that's why I tried python-evic.

9. ReikoKitsune

ReikoKitsune Developer
    NFE Team

Yeah, good decision - doing something that you cannot be understand...

Because you can damage your device with a wrong firmware. That's why this check is necessary.

In the FAQ you can find article about Safe Mode and then install OFW while your device in the safe mode.

10. spado

spado Member

Yeah don't worry, I already fixed it. Many times in the past I flashed wrong firmwares (example: Cuboid on VTC Mini) and just put the mod in safe mode and flashed it back to the original just for the sake of seeing what happens.

11. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

A little information, for the future. Original firmwares are published for one particular device, and they never check on which device they are running.
    ArcticFox can work on a variety of devices, and at startup it tries to determine which box it came in and, depending on it, chooses a behavior style. If the device is unknown, that is, it is not in the list of supported, it will not work. In general, this is completely useless, keep in mind.

spado and Scaldyballs like this.
  12. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Well, we made some research and we need a confirmation.
    As it appears from original firmware, iKonn has buck only (step-down) DC-DC converter. It means that output voltage can not exceed summary batteries voltage, i. e. it acts like RX2/3 with 2 cells. RX2/3 has maximum output voltage in this configuration of 6 volts. iKonn has 8 volts (strange a little, isn't it?).
    To get rid of doubts, we will ask the owners (if there are any) of this box to conduct an experiment: load the box so as to try to get from it the declared 8 volts and see what will come of it.
    At this moment, personally I feel only a slight disappointment and I doubt whether its support will be needed at all.

nyos8883 likes this.
  13. spado

spado Member

Is this a different approach than what they did with the Pico Dual (or Cuboid/Cuboid Tap, Predator 228, Primo 1/2.0)?
    If so, that is puzzling...

14. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Yes! It is almost Pico Dual (atomizer/battery/charger routines etc.) except step-up output voltage regulation. That I've see from disassembling of the original firmware. If it will be confirmed by owners, I doubt that the box will be popular.

Bingo! SMOK Alien 220 has step-down only DC-DC converter :D

#14 maelstrom2001, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    joeblowma likes this.
  15. spzjulien

spzjulien Member

any new about ikonn 220 ? support is dropped ?, i wish not so then i will able to fix the low dim screen issue
    i cant read screen outdoor :(

https://www.fasttech.com/forums/7825804/t/2473828/annepan-will-screen-brightness-be-corrected/last

even if i cant use full power of artic fw, i would love to use basic feature like multi profil ... i didnt understand the step-down only DC-DC converter problem, im too rookie for that
    but i would love to use artic basic feature
    i flashed artic Fw on my GF's pico mini and i love it

anyway thanks for this great Fw project, im planing to donate
    and hello from france

16. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Thank you!

In fact, because of the rather specific hardware, we did not plan to support first. Even for some first tests, the presence of a box is necessary, but it is so uninteresting that we do not consider buying at least for personal use.
    But in principle, if there is a sufficient number of interested people, we can purchase it with donations which will be directed specifically to the development of support for iKonn. If this is generally interesting, then we can declare start of raising funds.

spzjulien likes this.
  17. spzjulien

spzjulien Member

im ok for small donation to start raising fund at least 10$, but i hope i will be not alone
    i didnt understand the DC-DC converter problem ...
    i'm wondering if i keep it or not, seem nice device for basic user like me .... i

dampfan likes this.
  18. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

It seems that iKonn has no booster, so max. output voltage will be depends on battery charge level. This imposes some limitations on the power and atomizer setup. To match the resistance of the coil, you need to keep in mind that for your setted power the voltage should not exceed 6 volts.
    For example, for steady 220 W during all battery life coil resistance should not exceed 0,16 Ohms, for 100 W - 0,36 Ohm etc. Otherwise, the battery capacity will not be fully used, and you will see a warning about a weak battery too early.

Well, it is almost 1/3 of box costs, so I do not think that the process will be long. If donations will be commented with mention of "iKonn", we'll keep inform community and immediately announce the end when reach the required amount [​IMG]

#18 maelstrom2001, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    spzjulien likes this.
  19. spzjulien

spzjulien Member

i see, if i new this forum before, i will never buy it, and choice mod, well supported by your Fw :(

i came here because this device have problem screen is too dim, so you dont see screen outdoor ! only indoor i can see the screen
    https://www.fasttech.com/forums/7825804/t/2473828/annepan-will-screen-brightness-be-corrected/last
    and in another thread, someone told me about artic FW
    https://www.fasttech.com/forums/7825805/t/2477588/epic-fail-screen-cant-read-screen-outdoor/last

20. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Well, maybe not all so scary? What coil (resistance) do you use and at what power?