Joyetech Espion Solo 80w TouchScreen

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by HydrAxx, Mar 30, 2018.

1. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello @TomHa !
    Thank you for kind words :)
    As I said earlier, original Espion's LDROM doesn't allow to force enter LDROM Boot (Safe Mode, Recovery etc.). If a disconnect occurs during the flashing firmware, there is a possibility that the box will remain in an "uncertain" state after unsuccessful update: it may start APROM (user area) as usual, but may not respond to commands from USB interface, i. e, it will not possible to re-flash it again, cause it should boot LDROM during flashing.
    Almost all boxes can be forced to boot LDROM as it described in Products Manual p. 7.3. But not Espion Solo, cause it have generic LDROM, but have no physical "+" button. For my needs I modified it, and now it is possible to force boot LDROM with lock button (near USB port). LDROM updater is attached, if you take the risk to update LDROM, it must to be done with original OEM firmware, before flashing ArcticFox, cause AF have no this feature. This is an optional procedure, but may be helpful. Personally, I am much calmer working with Solo firmware, knowing that I have an emergency exit :D

As to ArcticFox itself, it is also attached, the recent [P12] build compatible with latest release of NToolbox.
    Here should be our disclaimer, but you already know everything... :)

Attached Files:

chpok, teeedubb, Gandalf and 7 others like this.
  2. TomHa

TomHa New Member

WOW! =D
    You made my day! ( or night actualy about 2:30 here now ;) )
    Thank for the ultra fast responce.
    Love it. Will come back to comment more, but already looks brillant and simple to understand.
    Dont know what you thought about the device yourself? but the interface was not my taste ( and laggy :/ ).
    You are the vape firmware hero!
    All went smooth btw ( did the FLDROM first ).
    Thank a lot and keep up with the great work!

Attached Files:

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  3. lounik

lounik New Member

I have a espion solo with problem at the touch sensor (a friend of mine has abandoned it to my home) . Some times the sensor feel the touch but only at the bottom of the screen. I can use it at bypass mode only because at watt mode it is stuck at 1 w and I can not increase it. So it is very good news that I can flash it with AF. It will not solve my problem but at least I'll be able to change wattage settings from a pc.

Like Lois Lane, so much to offer, nothing to loose

I am genuinely thankful for all the effort you are making

4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

@TomHa, @lounik thank you very much!
    I got mine with the same problem, sensor was stuck within ~30 sec after installing battery. First planned to use it with NToolbox only too, but accidentally repaired it. After taking the box apart the problem was figured out: when a liquid gets into 510 connector (it is not sealed at all) and then flows down on the plastic chassis, the first thing which it will flood is the touch sensor chip on the flat cable. After washing with 96% alcohol and drying the touch sensor starts working like a charm.

5. Thanasis Siderakis

Thanasis Siderakis New Member

Many many thanks my friend !
    I have the espion solo for about a year but I didn't like its menu so I wasn't using it that much. I have 4 more mods, 3 of which are using ArcticFox and I love them ! Now my espion solo is also flashed ( I did both flashes with success) and it's working perfectly !

Just one question, in case I want to sell it later, can I flash back the original firmware ?

Thanks again ! :)

6. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello @Thanasis Siderakis , thank you :)
    Yes, of course, at any time you can flash the original firmware with NToolbox or original Joyetech updater, in usual way.

Thanasis Siderakis likes this.
  7. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

@maelstrom2001 thank you very much for you work, finally i can upgrade my espion solo box!
    Im a totally noob, i've installed AF on my Evic Primo 2.0 TC box without problems using NFEtools, but i dont know how update my Espion Solo box.
    Please what are the step to follow for upgrading LDROM and install AF with the file you post early?
    Thank you in advance!

8. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    1. Close NToolbox completely (right click icon in tray -> Exit).
    2. Download, unpack and start FLDROM.
    3. Connect Espion Solo with original firmware.
    4. Check that LDROM Updater detected the box:
      [​IMG]
    5. Click Update button.
    6. Close FLDROM.
    7. Start NToolbox and flash attached ArcticFox build the same way you've flashed your Primo.
    Please check that USB port and cable are working properly, use USB 2.0 ports only. Disconnect during flashing LDROM (it takes about 1 second) or APROM with locked LDROM (it takes up to 10 seconds) potentially may brick the box.

step16, Gandalf and dotsync like this.
  9. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

Thank you for the fast reply @maelstrom2001 . If i can i would ask you another question:
    With the AF installed the use of touchscreen for set the box, at example changing wattage, check puffs, set another operating profile, is working or i need set all things with NFETools everytime i want change something?

10. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Everything works as on your Primo with hints on screen: tap areas emulating + and - buttons are displayed with arrows. No additional settings required.

11. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

12. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

13. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

@maelstrom2001 just installed and the box seem to work fine, but i have problem to set the skin.
    On the box i cant change the theme from foxy to circle or classic skin and this issue also occour with NFEToolbox; the box seem ignoring the skin change.
    Default box skin is set to Foxy.
    On AF User giude i read that for changing and menu item i need press and hold the + button for almost 1 second, but the only button i can hold on espion solo is the fire button. Pressing the "lock" button put me on "back menu".
    Any suggestion?

14. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

This firmware contains Foxy skin only. Sorry, it is "unofficial" branch, built for personal use and I do not use other skins :)
    To exit menu press and hold Lock button for 1 second. Enter Main Menu - 4 Fire button clicks by default, if I remember correctly.

15. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

Ahhhh ok thanks for let me know! And sorry for disturbing you again!

16. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

@maelstrom2001 , yes again its me ;)
    Two last question (hoping):
    - are you planing future development for Espion Solo and add the full features like the "standard" AF releases? Because if you are still planning that i can test your builds, if you want;
    - What battery profile you reccomend for the 21700 battery on the Espion Solo? (in my case i have the "default" 21700 bundled with the box- avatarcontrol brand)

Thank you again!

17. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

@iRcKenny no problem :)
    Definitely yes while it is my daily device with ArcticFox. I'll try to keep post up to date publishing actual stable builds.
    Yep, except skins: to be honest, I'm too lazy to add on screen hints and screen layouts for skins that I do not use. But otherwise this branch is fully synchronized with main AF: 190602 is [P12] release compatible, 190618 is the recent nightly (which was tested before nightly AF, btw) and future release compatible etc.
    It is complex question. The best solution is to make your own discharge profile, cause it strictly depends on your personal vape style and battery age: https://nfeteam.org/forum/threads/usb-current-limit.775/#post-2942
    But there is nothing wrong with GEN profile as well.

18. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

Ok, clear!
    Is there a way to set "bypass mode" on Espion like the original firmware? i use it for testing my coils on various atoms. My very last question!

19. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

This question was asked many times, and several times it was answered:
    As emulation does not give a real mech experience, we still consider it useless.

20. iRcKenny

iRcKenny New Member

My fault for not searching and asking you a maybe a stupid question! Again thank you so much for your patience!