Unofficial Lost Vape - Quest Chip (Grus, Ursa, Cyborg, BTB, Thelema, Centaurus)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mixHup, Oct 14, 2020.

  1. townBlo

    townBlo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2022
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hi all!

    Super sorry to bother if this has already answered, but I'm very new 510 box mods. I actually would like to get a Thelema Quest 200W (dual battery) for the purposes of using a 510 based wax atomizer, but I understand that such devices really need TCR. To clarify, as I understand it, although the Thelema Quest doesn't support TCR with stock firmware, flashing it with Arctic Fox enables TCR mode on the device?
    Also I'm reading that apparently the chipset has changed, so I take it this is only possible with the older models of the device before the chipset was changed? Does anyone know when the chipset was changed? I believe I might be able to purchase one of the older models. I noticed it appears many sites are now selling the Quest with all black buttons, but it appears there is an older model of the Thelema Quest 200W with color matching buttons (blue/red/silver buttons), I assume this is the version from before they changed the chipset?

    Thanks to anyone for help with any of this, I super appreciate it and thanks to the NFE guys for making custom firmware for devices like this.
     
    maelstrom2001 likes this.
  2. maelstrom2001

    maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    1,670
    Likes Received:
    1,541
    Hello!
    o_O even didn't noticed that before you wrote it :D
    Yep, AF gives the full control over TCR - manual set or importing curves by Steam Engine Wire Wizard. And puff cut-off up to 60 sec.
    Yes, STM32F072 (STM32FECG) devices only.
     
    townBlo and joeblowma like this.
  3. townBlo

    townBlo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2022
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    1
    Ah, thanks for the quick answer! That's pretty helpful. And to clarify with anyone in this thread, are all the Thelema Quest 200W so far still using this old chipset, or did they stop using the STM32F072 in the 200W as well?
     
  4. rrveex

    rrveex Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2021
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    54
    LostVape promises good quality so they chose STM chips (STMicroelectronics is a well established brand for ARM implementations).
    At some point, for some (probably covid-related) reasons, there were no more STM chips to be bought. Similar ARM chips from other manufacturers are still available.
    I hope this makes things obvious. If not, here are some Q&As:

    Q. Does the LostVape XYZ have STM or other chip?
    A. Depends on whether it's manufactured before or after they ran out of STM chips
    Q. What about the other LostVape, YYX?
    A. Doesn't matter, same answer.
    Q. When will LostVape use STM chips again?
    A. At the earliest, after the problems leading to the global shortage (production, supply-chain, etc.) are fixed. LostVape might as well stick with something else even then.
    Q. Does this mean there's never ever going to be new mods with AF?
    A. I'm pretty sure the NFE team won't stop vaping and writing great software :)
     
  5. widyahong

    widyahong New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2021
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    13
    you can reset configuration in nfetool with device connected to computer, just little bit more effort, maybe limited space on flash memory for default value reset? i dont know..

    its look good, you have test continuity on 510 connector so i think last/final capacitor is fine. maybe something between shunt resistor-opamp-stm32 have leakage? or configuration shunt resistor on advance menu not in default value?

    in the last photo so you revert to standard firmware from lostvape? or it before upgrade to articfox? why its show 0.05ohm?
     
    maelstrom2001 likes this.
  6. townBlo

    townBlo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2022
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    1
    So do we know when this change in the chipset happened? Seems a shame, as I really wanted to use the Thelema Quest but unfortunately I'll just have to buy a Wismec instead it seems. I was hoping maybe I could buy one from a store that still has stock from a month or two ago, but if they made this switch a couple months ago then I guess that's not possible.
     
  7. tim_buktu

    tim_buktu Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2018
    Messages:
    94
    Likes Received:
    56
    Hello @maelstrom2001
    regarding nuvoton chipset: would it be helpfull if I would order an ISP for it and try to read out that chip? So far it seems, that there are only two reportet devices with the nuvoton inside?
     
    #447 tim_buktu, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    maelstrom2001 likes this.
  8. maelstrom2001

    maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    1,670
    Likes Received:
    1,541
    Hello @tim_buktu!
    It will be with read protection set with a 99% probability. About 1% left... to be honest, I have no great desire to return to Nuvoton. It will means to write almost 50% from scratch.
    Of course, I am not against this idea, and will be grateful for any info you'll get. But I would not want you to be disappointed by wasting money and time.
    STMicroelectronics provides more flexible and convenient tools (IDE, HAL etc). Switching to another MCU within the same (STMicroelectronics) manufacturer is pretty easy, so pesonally I prefer to stay watching. Another argument in favor of this is presence STM32F103 in Thelema Solo.
    But if we are left with no choice... well. Nuvoton, or something else, or another manufacturer will be chosen as a next victim :D
    The only thing that worries me is if that hardware modifications will moves on faster than we can do something with. I don't want to do irrelevant work. So far we have been lucky here, but, apparently, market is not changing for the better for us.
     
    joeblowma, widyahong and tim_buktu like this.
  9. tim_buktu

    tim_buktu Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2018
    Messages:
    94
    Likes Received:
    56
    really, why?
    I will try, to help
    we could leave it as it is, but I thought the nuvoton is not a bad thing (is it?) I guess there could come more devices with it, because the market will not recover so fast. Would be interesting how much devices we have to expect with nuvoton...
    that device has MY favorite form factor
     
    widyahong and maelstrom2001 like this.
  10. maelstrom2001

    maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    1,670
    Likes Received:
    1,541
    Why not, just because :D why LV does not read protected their 072 till Centaurus?
    That's why I don't mind completely. So I suggest let's just watch for a while the trends in production. Personally I will be happy if they will choose STM. In case of Nuvoton, I will accept and go on, even if it will take much more time. On one condition: they must be very cool boxes that will interest me personally.
    Mine too :)
     
    widyahong likes this.
  11. rrveex

    rrveex Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2021
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    54
    My Cygnus had that too. I first thought it is because of Linux -> virtualization -> flasher, but next day you described Centaurus and the behavior was exactly the same.
    I hope when the chip's availability returns to normal, the mod manufacturers won't switch that often - new PCB design costs money; they did it now because they had to, otherwise they wouldn't have anything to sell. Cortex choice from STM seems to be pretty stable (besides F4->G4 I haven't noticed much... but, I haven't been active in the field for some years, so I might be mistaken).
     
    maelstrom2001 likes this.
  12. tim_buktu

    tim_buktu Member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2018
    Messages:
    94
    Likes Received:
    56
    You are completely right. I opend a new thread with result, not to mess up this one any further.
     
    maelstrom2001 likes this.
  13. Shikuro

    Shikuro New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2021
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    1
    Tell me, what is the latest firmware for grus?