Unofficial Lost Vape - Quest Chipset (Grus, Ursa)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mixHup, Oct 14, 2020.

1. enkripta

enkripta New Member

Is it possible to flash RedPanda on a Grus? If so, which build?

USB2.0 hub is on the way, so hopefully will have this up and running soon. Thanks everyone in this thread for your awesome knowledge!

2. TinaEire

TinaEire Member

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  3. Nader Magen mohi el din

Hello all
    I jist want to change the software of my grus
    I can soldering my device easy
    But i have problem with the usb type c cable
    This thing i cant understand
    First why i cant use my samsung type c to c cable
    Its read data and good one
    Why i need to customizing a new cable
    And can i use the cable that came with my dna devics instead of customizing another cable
    Any other way of doing that
    Because i feel stuck in this
    Please someone answering me
    And thank you all for the idea of changing the grus

4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    Quest Chipset have non-standard USB pinout. Even if you'll put MCU in DFU mode, PC will not detect USB device with any plain, standard USB cable.

5. tim_buktu

tim_buktu Member

Hello @Nader Magen mohi el din
    I made a video of customising the cable.

The USB-C breakout board is from amazon, link is in video description.
    This is working fine for me, maybe you want to give it a try.
    LG

TinaEire, Komara and maelstrom2001 like this.
  6. Sh4rp

Sh4rp New Member

Hey there,

I got my Ursa Quest today and of course I had to mod it right out of the box. I wanted to let you guys know, that the USB C Cable that came with my kit, was wired up correctly, according to this thread. I destroyed the cable and found out that I actually didn`t had any work to do. Maybe that is helping somebody in the future before tearing his cable apart :) Just try it out with the Type-C that comes in the kit, it might just work!

Also thanks a lot to the developers! I love it when an active community is improving the products and enhance the functionality for other people like me.

//Edit: One thing I noticed is that the Key Lock is not affecting the fire button. Is that on purpose?

#246 Sh4rp, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

:D
    Yep. If you want to lock the Fire button as well, use Device Lock action.

8. Sh4rp

Sh4rp New Member

I tried the device lock but the problem here is that the only way to unlock the device is to remove the battery.

Are you still developing the firmware for the Quest Chipset? Some functionality from the other Arctic Fox Releases don’t even appear in the menu. One thing that comes to my mind right now is the ability to switch themes for example. I’m running Arctic Fox on my VTC Mini as well and it feels a little bit more complete.

If I can be of any help please let me know, I’m not an electrical engineer (not even close :D) but have a little bit of experience in PCB Design and Coding from my spare time projects. It’d be nice to get the firmware head to head with the other releases :)

9. kwonton

kwonton New Member

Supposedly the new Lost Vape Thelema Quest has the exact same chipset as the Ursa Quest. Does that mean that it should technically be able to flash AF or RP? And if so what is the next step? ( I still have my custom Grus cable)

**Thank you for all that you do!!

10. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

More correctly: the same MCU (STM32F072). Yep, according to Mike's and Matt's reviews it seems so.
    As always :D Buy, take it apart, check MCU, put MCU in DFU mode, get a dump of the OEM firmware and so on.
    Personally I'm not very interested in this box itself cause I prefer single cell boxes. Probably I'll not buy it, but if anyone will be interested, we can walk this way together.

11. zelenariba

zelenariba New Member

I have 50USD on FastTech I can freely spend on anything.
    I can order it directly to your address if you want..

kwonton and maelstrom2001 like this.
  12. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    Thank you, but at this moment it is out of stock and in pre-order in other Chinese stores. But there is an option :)
    For me it's handy to order it from USA, UK, Germany or Poland. In these countries working mail forwarder from my country.
    If we found the cheapest deal and in stock in any shop from countries listed, I'll place an order.
    For example, I found: https://www.elementvape.com/lost-vape-thelema-quest-mod ($76 total at checkout, no way :eek:)
    Any help with search is appreciated :)

#252 maelstrom2001, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  13. Nader Magen mohi el din

Hello thank you for helping me
    I got this type c from old cable does it will work if i start doing the same you do on it

Attached Files:

14. Nader Magen mohi el din

Well thank you for helping i think i know what to do now after reading the posts from a to z alot of timebut after soldering the usb as showen in the picture and everything is don correctly
    I need to make the short on the bord. Of the gruss to make it detect by pc first or this. To open the bootload for the device

Attached Files:

15. tim_buktu

tim_buktu Member

Sorry, I just saw your question right now. The shortcut must be made when connecting the device to the PC.
    When it is detected, you can release. Dfuse will show it in the device list. Then flash the bootloader.
    Don't forget to install the driver from the Dfuse driver directory, first.
    Windows must detect it as "device in dfu mode"

TinaEire and maelstrom2001 like this.
  16. Robson

Robson New Member

17. HHansch

HHansch New Member

Hello NFE-Team,
    first let me say it's really an amazing Project you are working on. Because I developed a couple of firmware within the last 25 years, I know what it means to develop a firmware that is running on such a lot of different Hardware! Kudos to you!!!
    Starting with deploying AF to my Cuboid and RX 2/3, I could also successfully upgrade 2 Ursa Quest and 2 R80.
    To solder the cable was the hardest part. Many thanks to all members they give their input to explain how to.
    One problem actually remain, I stuck while trying to upgrade my 2 Grus. The Grus fails to enter DFU-Mode :(.
    Any idea what may be the reason for that? (Sorry for my bad English but school is out since 1975)
    Hans

18. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello @HHansch, thank you :)
    Hmm, it's kind of weird.
    What are the symptoms? When you pull BOOT0 pin up and powering the PCB, does the display stay black? If so, probably there is an issue with USB?
    How long ago did you buy GRUS? Perhaps another revision of the board has appeared, can you compare your PCB with the photo in the topic please?

19. HHansch

HHansch New Member

Hi maelstrom2001,
    thank you for your fast response!
    Both Grus I buy in May 2021 by different sellers. The PCB's seems to be the same as in your post #38 (Rev. YK-5172-V1.3).
    The resistor at BOOT0 is connected to V+, when short with the capacitor (pull down) the Display stay black. My first trials I did without display, so what should be shown if DFU-Mode is entered successfully. (BTW. what is the size limit for upload pictures)
    Hans

20. rrveex

rrveex New Member

Hi there!

Seems I'm kind of late at the party... :)

Thank you for your work and the firmware!

My Grus works very well with it. For those who haven't done this yet, a few tips:

- get a breakout board, don't torture yourself with soldering the USB connector. Not only is that difficult (I didn't manage it), but with the "big", friendly board to solder, you can almost certainly exclude the cable from the list of things that could be wrong (cable? windows drivers? usb port? boot pin? connector wrong way around?) and spare yourselves a lot of frustration :/

- on my breakout board, the VCC lines don't communicate with each other (same for ground); the device seems to use a particular couple of them, so I connected all VCCs together and all ground together. The display should show "charging" when you plug the cable (even without battery inside)

- you need loads of heat to solder the 510 connector wires, use a big iron, not the fine one for electronic stuff

@maelstrom2001
    You mentioned the Thelema Quest, is that supported?

Also, I'd like to better understand a few things about the project, if you can spare a couple of minutes.

Why is the Grus not listed in the manual / list of supported devices? Because of need to disassemble / solder things? Because it's beta? Because you forgot? :) Are there other devices not listed there working with AF/RP? (btw, I thought RP is meant for color displays, but Grus is released under AF, what am I missing here?)

What is this "stm32 in progress" thing? Are you not yet officially supporting stm32 but planning to do so?

Please excuse me if the questions I asked are already answered somewhere in the forum; I couldn't find this information in ~5 hours of browsing.

Edit: Sorry, seems only the toolbox used to be opensource. Please ignore the next lines

i read a comment somewhere, saying the project isn't "open source _any longer_"; I suppose you plan to monetize this and, if so, wish you all the luck! Regardless, could I perhaps have an old, useless, version of the firmware code? I'd like to browse a bit.

I would also like to write NToolbox for Linux. I think I'd only need a few hints and the API for communication... shouldn't be any secret there, should it? it probably could even be reverse-engineered by reading the USB communication, I really don't think you encrypt it :) but I really don't have that much time to waste.

#260 rrveex, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021