NFE Tools no longer recognizes ANY of my Eleaf devices

Discussion in 'Issues' started by DavidBlueston, Jul 30, 2021.

1. DavidBlueston

DavidBlueston New Member

I am using Windows 10.

NFE Tools is version v190703.

I wanted to update an old Pico 75 and Pico Dual with the latest firmware but found that Tools won't recognize the device. I have connectivity because the devices will charge. I have also tried one of two Pico S devices that already have late firmware. NOTHING is recognized but all will charge.

I have also gotten the "last USB device you connected..." error from Windows. This makes me think that a recent Windows update is the culprit.

Advice, please? :)

2. TinaEire

TinaEire Member

Ahhhrrrgghhh Microsoft does it again.... Windows 10 trash... no deactivation of updates, only for 30 days....

David did you connect to a USB 3.x? If so try a USB 2.0 port or a USB 2.0 Hub. There are known cases where that helped with the Lost Vape Grus/Ursa. I don't know if that helps but maybe it's worth a try. ;)

Yesterday I got a iStick Rim C (STM32!) and the NFTools (STM32 v190718) did not report that device in the FW Updater, but I was able to flash it and open it up in the Arctic Fox section. Still the Rim C was displayed as Unknown device)
    After the 1st FW Update the [M177] is displayed: (not showing up in the Windows device manager)
    upload_2021-7-31_10-59-14.png upload_2021-7-31_11-1-18.png
    Same NFTools finds older AF devices:
    upload_2021-7-31_11-7-30.png
    and
    upload_2021-7-31_11-8-56.png

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  3. DavidBlueston

DavidBlueston New Member

I can't get that far. NFETools can't see the device at all. It's connected and getting power but Windows still refuses to accept the connection.

This also happens with two Evolv DNA devices (DNA75 and DNA250C) and the EScribe software. I also have a Smoant Charon TC 218 (flashable). It happens on this, too.

I have tried every available remedy and nothing works. My wireless mouse adapter works. My Seagate and a Western Digital external drive both work. My Samsung Galaxy S3 and an old iPhone 6s both work.

Only my vape devices cause an error 43.

My theory now is that a Windows update that "improved" security has changed the USB handshake protocol. Certain devices that don't have the right credentials are not recognized.

4. DavidBlueston

DavidBlueston New Member

Not only AF compatible devices. None of my vape devices will connect. This includes all Eleaf devices, two DNA devices and a Smoant device.

I have tried every available remedy. Swapped cables. Swapped ports. Swapped Windows computers. Uninstalled USB drivers. Plugged into USB hubs (2.0 and 3.0). Uninstalled drivers, restarted PC, reinstalled drivers. Uninstalled and reinstalled software. Each vape device is connected--they will all charge and disconnecting them removes the error message in Device Manager.

All other USB devices work normally, including my wireless mouse adapter, two external hard drives, two USB thumb drives, one Samsung Galaxy S9 and an old iPhone 6s.

My theory now is that a Windows update that "improved" security has changed the USB handshake protocol, or something. Certain devices that don't have the right credentials are not recognized.

5. TinaEire

TinaEire Member

Do you still have a USB 2.0 port direct at your PC(mainboard) and if so have you tried that, or did you plug a USB 2.0 Hub into a USB 3.0 port? I have a Asrock Z170 mainboard and it has no problem to connect to my older Arctic Fox mods. I use usually the front USB 2.0 ports which are connected to a USB 2.0 plug on the board. I tested also the 2 USB 2.0 ports at the back of the mainboard and they work too.
    I use Windows 10 pro with the latest updates and tried the NFTools 190703 and STM32 190718. I use Avira as antivirus and it seems to give no problems. In your place I would try this too, if everything else fails: Disconnect your PC from the internet, deactivate your Antivirus and Firewall and try then to conect your older Arctic Fox mods to the NFTools.

I hope that helps somehow and I cross my fingers for you.

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  6. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Gigabyte Z490M, USB3.2. Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.1110, all recent updates are installed.
    No issues with USB on front and rear (onboard) panels with Nuvoton, STM and Evolv devices.
    I can only suggest to update drivers from motherboard manufacturer.