Pico Mega Maximum Input Voltage?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by eSMOKA, Sep 21, 2022.

1. eSMOKA

eSMOKA New Member

Sorry, I know this is off topic for AF project, but I believe the NFE team are the only ones left on the internet that can answer this question since they work closely with JWE mods. Eleaf will not answer me, of course :(.

Short story: I want to build a passthrough desk mod which will be powered by a ATX PSU modified for this purpose and I want to use the PCB from a Pico Mega. I am certain that the Pico Mega PCB cannot handle a 12v input lol, so that leaves me with 5v or 3.3v input.

The question: what is the maximum input voltage a Pico Mega PCB can handle? Can it handle 5v input or is 4.2v absolute maximum input voltage for this PCB? If 4.2v is maximum, then is there any problem with using a 3.3v input or is that not enough voltage? (BTW: I'm not too worried about amp draw because I only need 10A max, I am a low wattage vaper. I am only concerned here with maximum input voltage of the Mega PCB).

I do have a possible solution if this PCB can only take a max of 4.2v and if 3.3v is not enough, but that would make the project cost more and a little more complex so if I could use the 5v rail (or even 3.3v rail) that would be best.

I hope someone on the NFE Team can answer this. Thanks and sorry again for being OT.

#1 eSMOKA, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    I would not recommend exceeding the input voltage above 4,5 volts.
    3,3 volts is not the best choice, but it is absolutely safe for the electronics. Please, take care about wire thickness for this option, it should be at least 16 AWG.

eSMOKA likes this.
  3. eSMOKA

eSMOKA New Member

Thank you for your reply! Yes I will be using minimum 16ga wire.

Can I ask you, though, what is the downside to 3.3v rail? Is it because 3.3v may cause a lot of "battery low" warnings?

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

If you will use thick wires and a battery profile like this:
    [​IMG]
    there shouldn't be any drawbacks at all when using 3.3 volts. As long as there are no losses on the wires and connectors, I think this is the best and the safest option.

eSMOKA likes this.
  5. eSMOKA

eSMOKA New Member

maelstrom2001 likes this.