Possibility to record date, time and duration of each puff

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by K Farsalinos, Nov 7, 2018.

1. K Farsalinos

K Farsalinos New Member

Hello everyone and congratulations for your work which is very interesting for research purposes too.
    I wanted to ask you if it is possible for the devices supported by your software and firmware to record in the device and subsequently download to a computer (as an excel or csv file) a list with the date, time and duration of each puff. I am talking about a feature that was available from the factory in EVIC Supreme through the MyVapors software. Truly appreciate your response on this. Thank you.

spado and slavyk like this.
  2. ReikoKitsune

ReikoKitsune Developer
    NFE Team

Hello,

We have an idea how that may be implemented, but this will require some investigation.
    The main problem is that all devices from JWEI have very limited ROM space and ~98% is already taken by the firmware itself and configuration.

Some details about how we can make it. Atm firmware recording puffs statistics (total puffs count / total puffs duration). This kind of statistics is recored in the special memory pages. We may add "Switch" between statistics type: classic (how it is implemented at this moment) or by each puff as you suggested. In that case we may keep information (datetime+duration) of about 1000 puffs per day.
    Due to specifics how memory pages works there are will be some limitations: e.g. if you forget to "save" statistics from device to PC and you are exceeded 1000 puffs limit all statistics data will be lost.

And one more question: when i saw this post i noticed your nickname and remembered one interesting site: http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php
    It is you? :)

spado and slavyk like this.
  3. K Farsalinos

K Farsalinos New Member

Thank you for the response. Yes, it is me! ;)
    I am starting some research projects using your software.
    You cannot imagine how helpful it would be to have a record of date, time, power setting and puff duration of each puff. I understand the limitation of the ROM size, but we may ask people to download their data every day. I have used EVIC Supreme in the past (see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29059377 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26082330) but it is an outdated device and we cannot use it for people who do direct lung inhalation (subohm) vaping.
    Of course the total time and puff counter also help (you can get the average puff duration through the ratio), but recording the exact date, time and puff duration of each puff will provide additional data.
    Please inform me if you decide to do anything about it and release a version.
    Again, congratulations on this work and the tools you have created.

error, slavyk and maelstrom2001 like this.
  4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    Thank you for suggestion, it should be useful feature and deserves attention undoubtedly. With the minor limitations mentioned, this will be implemented.
    And thank you for your hard work :)

5. K Farsalinos

K Farsalinos New Member

Thank you! I wonder, would it be possible to have the option of EITHER recording total puff nr and total puff time OR detailed time/date/duration of each puff? That would make it a very versatile setup.

slavyk likes this.
  6. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Exactly, we'll reuse data space and let the user to choose which mode should be used, either "classic" (as it is implemented at present), or your model of detailed log.
    Unfortunately, the switching of this mode will imply a complete clearing of statistics and make impossible to use both modes at the same time because of the hardware limitations.

slavyk likes this.
  7. Yeldah28

Yeldah28 New Member

Is it possible to add this feature to RedPanda? :)
    I am waiting like a little Child at christmas eve for some updates :D

8. ReikoKitsune

ReikoKitsune Developer
    NFE Team

Yep, this feature will be available on both firmwares.

9. Gnagnom94

Gnagnom94 New Member

When will you implement this feature?

With Yeldah28 i'm another child waiting the same "christmas update".

I'm an Computer scientist trying to graduate before April and for my internship i need a complete log of all possible day's puff.
    If someone has this type of data, could you contact me to send them to me?

10. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

RC2 builds:
    • ArcticFox: 190114
    • RedPanda: 190114
    • Log management utility (temporary solution for debug purposes until NToolbox update): LogReader
    Vaping statistic can be collected in two modes:
    • usual puffs and time counters (log mode is disabled);
    • log which contains data for each puff such as date, time, duration and power set. Puffs/time counters are not stored and resets on battery replacing.
    Log capacity is about 1,000 entries. CSV delimiter is comma or semicolon depending on OS regional settings.
    [​IMG]
    Available modes:
    • Enabled: logging in progress, log is available to download from device and export to CSV file;
    • Suspended: collected data is still available, but logging is stopped. Also, log will switch to this mode when there is no more space for new entry;
    • Disabled: log data is not available, dataflash space is used to store puffs/time counters.

11. vtempest

vtempest New Member

Would love if this could sync with fitbit and other devices to track by activity types as they relate to vaping usage, for example patterns in going to gym or jacking off after vaping.