predator 228 dead? black screen no buttons work.

Discussion in 'Issues' started by sopuli3, May 21, 2017.

1. sopuli3

sopuli3 New Member

hi, i got my predator a month back or so, but today while charging and switching batteries the scren just went black and no buttons work, this happened on stock firmware, tried updating etc, is this a hardware issue or a software one? anyone else have this problem?

Topi

2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    Did you replace batteries with USB connected to charger or PC? If so, we have bad news for you.

3. sopuli3

sopuli3 New Member

straight micro usb to pc, just bricked ?

4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

It's a common fault. Manufacturers have never pointed out that you can not change batteries when the box is connected to the USB. Someone is lucky, but some do not.

P. S. return box under warranty.

5. sopuli3

sopuli3 New Member

ok well i
    ok well is there any way to factory reset etc? updating firm. didnt work, but the mod still charges batteries via usb, just nothing on screen

6. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead (c)

Scaldyballs likes this.
  7. sopuli3

sopuli3 New Member

well, duck.....

8. juver

juver New Member

if know how to do soldering i can teach you how to bypass the dead boost chip ill find a pic of the predator and post here latyer

9. juver

juver New Member

http://imgur.com/a/YP8KY

check if 12v is alive on those 2 red marks, if only single 12v is active make a bridge between those 2 red marks

10. sopuli3

sopuli3 New Member

Ok, where is a ground i can compare it to? I know how to solder and already looked at tje microcontroller on the back to try and find a number fir a datasheet to find a reset pin et c, i will try tjis later tonight.

11. Zviratko

Zviratko New Member

I killed one port on my USB hub by changing batteries while connected to it. And I killed another port by vaping while charging.
    Now I disconnect it whenever I want to touch it in any way, and I don't dare charging it from my Macbook... :)

12. mi213

mi213 New Member

The devices die if i remove the batteries during the recharge?
    This is the first time I've read about it. I always recharge my batteries externally, but still good I read this. Are all devices affected with the joyetech chips?

13. ReikoKitsune

ReikoKitsune Developer
    NFE Team

And not only Joyetech devices.

14. sopuli3

sopuli3 New Member

Just to update, fasttech is ready to rma it or just give me 15€ without even sending it over, i bought a smoant charon and it is better than the predator imo exept its a bit bigger.

15. kefir1992

kefir1992 New Member

I think I have same problem with Cuboid, same trick will work for it?

16. Coyote

Coyote Member

The components will be in a different place but probably. I'm not sure what long-term side effects bypassing a boost chip will cause tho.

These boards are all very similar and yes, changing batteries while charging can pop the boost chips. I had it happen to a Cuboid and a Predator. In both cases the battery door was accidentally released. If that happens to you, always disconnect the USB cable before you close it. The damage seems to be caused by the voltage spike when you connect the batteries while the mod is being powered via USB.

17. Coyote

Coyote Member

Technically the CPU is running and the buttons are working! Problem is you've lost the the 12v regulator on the board. Without a 12v supply, the screen won't light and it can't detect the atomizer. There's apparently a way to bypass it (see the other posts) but I don't know what the long term effects of that would be. I'd did a warranty swap, when it happened to me, this *is* a lack of circuit protection they never warned users about.

18. pkplex

pkplex New Member

Hello there.

I am in the process of repairing a predator 228 with this same issue. The very top regulator as referenced in your picture is outputting around 1.5v, and the bottom one is running at around 5.5V; I don't have a bridging wire in place right now.

If I connect a supply to the output of the top regulator ( after the diode, where you put the bridging wire ), The LCD works from anywhere from around 5 volts up ( I only tested up to 12v ).

What I would like to know is what the actual regulated output voltages are supposed to be for both regulators? I would like to choose a replacement regulator which does not involve replacing the feedback resistors. At 12v the LCD seems quite bright.

Any circuit diagrams and/or detailed info you have would be great

Cheers

19. sliter

sliter Member

Am i right, that they want to give you only 1/2 of the price and you're fine with it?

20. pkplex

pkplex New Member

As an update and for anyone else's future reference, I replaced the regulators previously referenced in the image here with two LM27313 regulators.
    That alone did not fix it however, there is a regulator marked on one of the images which had an output of around 0.8 - 1.1 v ( it seemed to change the output voltage based on the position of the moon ). I played around and found things seemed to worked ok with a 3 supply on the old regulators output, I replaced that with a LM27313 because it was all I had on hand.

And so now it boots up with a display and what not, and I tried hooking up a 1.5 ohm load to the output of the mod ( where the tank goes ), and discovered that on boot up the predator tries to measure the resistance of the coil. Mine failed though, because it drew so much current so quickly that my power supply could not react fast enough ( It dropped 4volts on the oscilloscope ) and so the predator thought the battery was too low, and stopped trying. Could perhaps put a big fat cap in there to fix it but I am too lazy right now.

Anyway, time for a beverage and I will let you know how the rest of it goes.

predator-228-repair.jpg

Attached Files: