Predator with new fixed 510 - Now good?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by mhertz, Sep 1, 2017.

1. mhertz

mhertz New Member

Could a dev or other in the know please answer this question of mine thanks? I've read many places that the predator isn't good, not only because the 510 can get loose/fall-out, but is not making stable resistance-readings either, because press-fit/bad-common-ground or something, which affects TC stability.

I just got a predator with updated new 510 which cannot fall out and it works great with AF and the device monitor with TC on SS shows near DNA smoothness, so I was wondering if the issue is fixed now, or if i'm just lucky somehow?

Side question, which dual-battery box would you recommend that is made properly and works great on TC with AF - I read one of the lead-devs recommended evic primo, is that still the best choice? I read others stating bad 510 though with that box also, and anthony vapes stated it was inconsistent with TC on his oscilloscope readings because of this. Now that i've found AF I want more boxes AF supports and preferable the best of the pack of course :) I have the RX2/3 also, but that have a bad rep too ...

(It's sad to have such good firmware available and then be hindered only by the hardware design...)

Thanks in advance!

#1 mhertz, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  2. Scaldyballs

Scaldyballs Member

Im suing my predator for months and only problem I had was juice getting onto the firing pin, which was simple to fix and hasnt happened since.

mhertz likes this.
  3. mhertz

mhertz New Member

Thanks for your reply Scaldyballs! :)

After more searching, I found lead dev maelstrom2001 posted this pic explaining what's wrong with the predator even disregarding the 510, which was the common ground goes from PCB into buttom-cover through a black-painted part which needs to be removed(paint) to not hinder connection. Sad indeed! I could understand if the electronics where bad because of the price, but when they are fine and the issue is only the actual assembling-design of these, then it really makes no sense to repeatedly continue making sub-optimal choices... Frustrating...

It was also maelstrom2001 which stated he liked his evic primo(v1), but I just can't help thinking about that anthony vapes guy stating that it had issues too he could see on his oscilloscope which he guessed was from 510 issues too... He also stated that the curves we see in device monitor(and escribe) was just what the chip believed it saw and hence isn't the complete picture, which kinda makes sence to me, though not in the know myself in any way...

I really wanna buy a dual-battery box with the AF-approved stamp given by the devs first :) If I just needed a single-cell one, then atleast I knew the pico was a safe choise with proper negative wire connection from the 510 and all(or something like that, I believe :) ), but I don't wanna change cells all day long...
    [​IMG]

#3 mhertz, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    All the boxes at present are Russian roulette in terms of quality. We with Anthony discuss the products and are disappointed by the drop in the quality of the assembly of our boxes. A lot of problems with connectors, grounding, battery lids etc.
    But, going back to the "lottery": ReikoKitsune have no issues with Primo 2.0, I'm pretty happy with early Primo. Perhaps we're lucky, but maybe not everything is bad :) Joyetech and Co. are leaders in the number of sales boxes, perhaps just the total number played a role. We do not see the percentage of failures, we see a large number of negative reviews. This does not apply to constructive shortcomings, of course, of which we have spoken and will speak. And yes, the solution with grounding in the Predator is very strange though.

mhertz likes this.
  5. mhertz

mhertz New Member

Thank you so much maelstrom2001! :) Your nicely thorough reply is so much appreciated, and I just now gotta decide between primo 1 or primo 2 as a start, before eventually getting both. I fully understand that I can get unlucky and of course will not blame you good people if missing the lottery! :) Thanks again!

6. X-R4Y

X-R4Y Active Member

I don´t find the thread where this pic came from, but i have an first generation predator. This predator now only gets "no atomizer found" message, the plus connection is solid an stable, but the GND seems to be missing (so logically - no atomizer found). What can be done with the 1st gen of the predator to fix this issue?

7. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

X-R4Y likes this.
  8. paulzedx636

paulzedx636 New Member

on my predator i soldered the threaded part of the 510 connector directly to the case of the mod. its not very easy as getting your soldering iron tip in there isnt easy and the case causes the iron to lose heat. you need to make sure both surfaces are very clean and use soldering flux as well its not a fun job but mine has been good for months.

9. X-R4Y

X-R4Y Active Member

I´ve done the neccessary repairs today. I measure the Ground to the 510 connection now clean, positive connection is clean also. If i boot up the device, 510 is ok. But i still get the "no atomizer found" message, so i think some electronic parts are broken. Some clues for a quick fix or i leave it for spare parts for my other predator :)

Or is it advisable to reflash AF? I´ve got a much better internal resistance now, i don´t know exactly if AF saves the internal value in some way and is now confused?

10. paulzedx636

paulzedx636 New Member

im not sure if you may have cleaned around the battery door mount and inside the case where the mount makes contact like in the video at 9:32 that maelstorm linked. in the video he used a dremel to clean off the paint i scraped it off with a knife and cleaned the residew with alcohol on a qtip. also you may look for stray juice that may be found in the battery contacts and the juice that is always found in the fire button.

#10 paulzedx636, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  11. X-R4Y

X-R4Y Active Member

I´ve done that all. I removed the paint and the GND connection is now very good and stable. No liquid sprays anywhere, cleaned it with isopropanol. Voltage 510 Pin is okay, GND is rock solid now. But i think it is damaged on the circuit anywhere. I have soldered a separate GND cable to the connection pin. :)

12. paulzedx636

paulzedx636 New Member

have you cleaned the inside of the fire button? i had to take my predator apart 4 times in two days because of a leaking tank and every time juice was in the fire button. when this happens it wont boot up i just get the fox symbol and build #. if that is not the problem maybe you can connect to your computer to edit settings via arctic fox and see if it changes things.

13. X-R4Y

X-R4Y Active Member

Everything is working, but only atomizer/resistance is not detected, i improved my firebutton a long time ago and made it liquid proof with another button. So there are no complaints there.

14. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Look at two low power boost DC-DC coverters on the PCB:
    [​IMG]
    It is power source for display, main converter drivers and thermistor. To say exactly which one is responsible for which, I can not, unfortunately. Check their operability, perhaps one of them has failed or is not receiving power or control signals. Also, one of the symptoms of failure is the wrong measurement of the board temperature, check it and at the same time.

15. X-R4Y

X-R4Y Active Member

PCB Board temperature is measuring correctly. I reflashed AF at this moment, no solution. I will measure the converter chips. Any clues which values they "should" or which connectivity they have?

It all happened while a vape. As i took a puff, there comes nothing. I looked at the display and fired again -> no atomizer. Since then, it doesn´t fire anymore :)