Preheat over time

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trixn, Jan 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. trixn

trixn New Member

Hey guys,

first I'm very excited about your firmware and I appreciate a lot what you are doing for us. As a software developer on my own I know how hard it is to provide such a software for free. So thank you very much for that.

Now to my suggestion. I hope I didn't miss a thread where this was already discussed:

Currently as far as I can see you are only able to configure a preheat delay in seconds after which the full preheat will be applied again. I asked myself, would it be possible to have a preheat effect curve increasing over time?

So let's say I configure the preheat & delay with the current tools to 150% over one second and a delay of 5s. That means that in these 5 seconds after a puff I will not get any preheat. Wouldn't it be great if the amount of preheat power would be increasing over that time reaching 150% percent again after 5 seconds? This way it would compensate for the coil cooling down over that delay. So if you know how fast a coil is cooling down you could adjust the preheat to fit to its "cooldown rate". You could even think about allowing a curve to be defined that defines how the preheat should increase again after a puff until it reaches its full power again.

Is that actually possible with the chip used in the devices?

Example:

Preheat: 150%
    Duration: 2s
    Delay: 10s

Now lets assume that after the puff we fire again after...

...0s - no preheat applied (we instantly fired again so coil is still hot)
    ...1s - 105% preheat (coil is still quite hot so we do not need much preheat)
    ...5s - 125% preheat (coil has cooled down a bit so we need a bit more preheat)
    ...10s - 150% preheat (coil has almost completely cooled down again, we get full preheat)​

This would be a linear increase of preheat power over the delay time configured. You could also think about non-linear increases. I'm not a physician so this would be smart probably only be needed if the cooldown over time of a coil is not linear.

EDIT: fixed grammar
    EDIT2: added example

#1 trixn, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Sascha77 and nosferatus like this.
  2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    Thanks for suggestion :)
    I think it is possible. Now we are extremely limited in ROM space, so
    is the only way. Will do a little research in couple of days and see.

trixn likes this.
  3. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Nightly builds:

At this moment option is available in box menu only: Main Menu -> Profile -> Preheat -> Delay/Regain, to switch press and hold Fire button on this menu item.

[​IMG]

camelot, nosferatus and Gedeon like this.
  4. trixn

trixn New Member

Kiddin me? :D You are lightning fast. Amazing.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to upload the nightly to my device. I've got a Wismec RX Gen3 Dual (Firmware 1.10, Hardware 1.0) and I'm currently running the current stable build (180913) on it. I'm running the NToolbox in wine on a mac. Uploding the stable build worked fine.

When I try to upload the nightly it is waiting for the device for some seconds and then I see this:
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-22 um 20.43.30.png

Any guess what might be the problem?

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

#4 trixn, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  5. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Restart NToolbox and try to flash the box from Safe Mode. Probably something went wrong with device detect while switching boot mode.

6. trixn

trixn New Member

That did the trick. Really nice.

Already tried it observing the power in the device monitor and it seems to work fine. I will play a bit with the numbers and see how good the vaping experience is. But for now it feels quite nice. Would be nice to hear from other peoples experiences.

Thank you again for relalizing that feature so fast. :)

Do you think this could make it to a final release?

#6 trixn, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    maelstrom2001 likes this.
  7. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!

Thank you for interesting suggestion, testing and response :)

Totally agree.

Any feature published in nightly builds stays in main branch and will be included in the next release (maybe with minor changes) if it is approved on user's tests.
    While we are still gaining material and statistics for stable update: this preheat mod, detailed puffs log, power bank modifications, support for some new devices etc.

trixn likes this.
  8. Gedeon

Gedeon Member

I'm testing it since yesterday on AF & RP boxes, it seems to work pretty well.
    Still needs more testing in winter's cold, and on more atomizers. to see if the algorithm linearity is ok in most cases.

Btw, this lead me to this idea:
    with TC wire, you could take into account the resistance(=temperature) at the beginning of the puff, to set the preheat amplitude .

maelstrom2001 likes this.