Question About Temp Setting

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Stormdad, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Stormdad

Stormdad New Member

Hello Forum,

I am running Red Panda on a Espion and have questions about one of the advanced settings.
    Have read through the manual and searched the forums.
    I am confused about what the difference is between the EXT and INT Temp setting.
    More specifically where are these temperatures being reported from on the device?
    Any help in explaining these two temp setting options would be greatly appreciated.

2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    The board has the overheat protection feature. The temperature inside the box can be measured at two points:
    • EXT - with thermistor: it may be placed in some critical point, for example, near output DC-DC converter, to protect the most significant and the most hot circuits;
    • INT - MCUs in our boxes has internal thermal sensor.
    By default, all OEM firmwares (except RX300) do temperature measurements with external thermistor. But often these thermistors have too high measurements, which leads to false "Device Too Hot" protection occurs. In fact, it is not known which readings are more accurate, but if your box too often goes into overheating protection for no apparent reason, this option may be useful.

3. Stormdad

Stormdad New Member

Thank you maelstrom2001 for the quick and informative reply!
    This is a stretch but could the internal temp (MCU's) be used to gauge approximate battery temps?

4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Unfortunately, not. The most accurate battery temperature readings have some boxes with non-replaceable batteries (Eleaf iKuu i80 for example) with dedicated thermistor in battery assembly. In other cases it is useless.

5. Stormdad

Stormdad New Member

That is kind of what I though, thank you for the response.