RedPanda GIF Logos?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bluegizmo83, Apr 15, 2019 at 8:45 PM.

1. Bluegizmo83

Bluegizmo83 New Member

I'm loving the theme and logo editors for the nightly RP firmware, but I'm curious if it would be at all possible to implement small animated GIF logos and screensavers?

2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    Yes, it is possible, but there will be a lot of restrictions. Animated image should be converted before upload into a series of images, and here we have a limit on the number of frames, for example, we can store up to 10 fullscreen images only. Also, the display has a very low refresh rate. All together, it will look just disgusting. Of course, it is possible to use small-sized images with a good refresh rate, but it seems to me that it will not look very good too.

Bluegizmo83 likes this.
  3. Bluegizmo83

Bluegizmo83 New Member

Yeah I was wondering if the refresh rate was gonna be too slow for that, as I noticed with some of the more detained logos I've uploaded you can see it take a fraction of a second (guessing around 200ms or so) to draw the logo on the screen each time it appears... sounds like it's not something that would work very well. Thanks for the reply though!

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  4. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Yep, transferring an image into the display from an external EEPROM is very slow, this can be seen on the OEM firmware, and when displaying the logo/saver in RedPanda. We can quickly update only a small part of the screen, and this is not suitable for nice and smooth animation. Perhaps it will work well with small images, but, again, in my opinion, it is not a good idea to draw a small image on a large black background :)