RX300 Atomizer Short

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Digital liquid, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital liquid

Digital liquid New Member

Guys please look into this i tried the 803 firmware today and same atomizer short reverted to stock firmware and it works fine. please advise a solution to the problem.

2. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Scaldyballs likes this.
  3. Digital liquid

Digital liquid New Member

will try it and see

4. Leddhedd

Leddhedd New Member

i am having the same problem, using a RXGen3 i have just updated to 170804, it seems that the wattage changes when i update the software to something around 200w, its at 196w atm with a 0.096 SS temp control coil, my GF is also using this firmware on her gen3, and hers will read atomizer short above 136w on a 0.072 SS coil. it seems that both of these cutoffs are around 45amps, is this related or an intended design?

5. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

We do not recommend to use coils with resistance below 0.1 Ohm full time. Do not forget that original firmware has this limitation. And yes, this is part of the additional protections that we have to add. The lower the resistance, the stronger the current limitation. And one more thing: "ohmmeters" in our boxes are very far from super precise and accurate, so do not be surprised by the appearance of errors at extreme operating conditions.

6. Leddhedd

Leddhedd New Member

the original firmware fully supports coils down to 0.05 for temperature control, and has done for a long time. Generally i use both a DNA200 and a Fluke multi meter to test the resistance of my coils, so i'm pretty certain that the resistances are correct and dialed in properly. i was under the impression that the resistance limit is generally lower for TC coils, as not only does the resistance increase during use, but the wattage ramps down during usage, reducing the current draw significantly, and as you stated, keeping the use of a high current draw sub 0.1 coil to a minimum. the only reason i mention this is that as it is, the AF firmware currently has less usability for me than the stock firmware for temp control, and provides lower power, and whilst i appreciate that efforts are made to make sure the devices are as safe as possible, i was hoping that AF would be able to at least match the power whilst offering all of the benefits that this great piece of firmware can. if you do ever plan on changing this limitation in power for temp control mode, please let me know!
    [EDIT] : I should also mention that it should be easy enough for me to build a 0.15 coil for the purposes of squeezing out the extra power, i just prefer the build i have been using for the past few years, and would greatly appreciate the chance to keep it as-is :)

#6 Leddhedd, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

We had a difficult choice :D In TC mode it is understood that the resistance of the coil will increase, and the load on the output DC-DC converter will decrease. But, on the other hand, we turned off the TCR check completely, which will allow users to use nichrome/kanthal coils in this mode, and this may lead to overload. Of course, it was possible to build more flexible protection, but this can lead to instability: the more conditions and the more complex the algorithm, the less reliability.

Scaldyballs likes this.
  8. Leddhedd

Leddhedd New Member

i understand ^^ the choice you have made is clearly safer for the majority of users, as well as being more user friendly, ill have to build some higher res coils!

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  9. CodusSupremus

CodusSupremus New Member

@maelstrom2001 I was having a lot of atomizer short errors so I flashed 804. Still getting the errors it seems like more now. I tried with 2 tanks and they both said atomizer short. Gong to flash stock to see if it happens there

EDIT: Stock firmware doesn't throw atomizer short errors

10. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

@CodusSupremus What resistance do atomizers have and what output power is set?

Seriously, guys... We ask as much detailed information as possible, and still the majority simply writes "nothing works." We are not clairvoyants.

11. CodusSupremus

CodusSupremus New Member

Sorry, was in a rush. Resistance is .24, running at 130 watts, dual 8 wrapped NI80 fused claptons.

12. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Well... One more step to be closer to the original firmwares: 170808

13. Vavun

Vavun New Member

What's New ? :)

14. CodusSupremus

CodusSupremus New Member

Just flashed 808, appears to have fixed the issue. The same build now fires without the atomizer short error. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.