Wismec Reuleaux Tinker 300W support (1st version not the 2nd one)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by simkard, May 7, 2022.

1. simkard

simkard New Member

Hello Everyone, Hello dear developers,

I was just wondering if by any chance, there might be support for Wismec Reuleaux 300W some day ?
    I already took a look at the following post "About requests for new device support" : https://nfeteam.org/forum/threads/about-requests-for-new-device-support.237/

So basically, ther emight be a chance if original firmware is downloadable ?
    Seems like there is some hope so ...
    There is a ZIP file available on Wismec website containing these files :
    >>> DIRECT LINK : https://www.wismec.com/images/support/download/REULEAUX_TINKER_V1.03.zip
    Contents :
    • UpdateWismec.exe >>> Upgrade tool (Windows based of course)
    • REULEAUX_TINKER_V1.03.bin >>> main firmware file (in BINARY format)
    • REULEAUX_TINKER_UI_V1.00.bin >>> UI stands surely for everything that is pictures/sprites/graphics related
    I have some electronics/coding skills on µC so maybe I can give a little bit of help here from my side of the earth.

Thanks for your help and hard work since then (I was using a Reuleaux RX200 with ArcticFox firmware which I did loved ... lost it last night like a f***ing dumba*s:confused: )

Cheers ! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. simkard

simkard New Member

A little bit of a search later, I found this post : https://nfeteam.org/forum/threads/dovpo-odin-100.5198/#post-13533
    There is an interesting information here as the Wismec Reuleaux Tinker 300W (v1) seems to be equiped with "Avatar" chipset, does that means that it comes with "STM32F072"/"STM32F104" MCU/µC too ? (which might indicate that these are ok to receive ArcticFox/RedPanda firmware)
    >>> "Chipset" name does not matter. MCU type is critical. The manufacturers invents the names of their "chipsets" according to the wishes of their left heels. We support Avatar, Quest, Vandy Chip, OmniBoard, HM Chip... But it's just a bunch of letters.<<<

Thanks !

3. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Hello!
    Yep, Tinker is equipped with early "Avatar" using Nuvoton M452 MCU. In theory, it can be supported. In practice, this will require dedicated branch for support 80x160 TFT color displays. AFAIK, similar devices are Tinker 2 and Espion Infinite.
    The main problem is that I need one of these device in hands. Given the current situation, it is difficult.

simkard likes this.
  4. simkard

simkard New Member

Thanks for your reply, actually as I’ve said, I have some knowledge on electronics and C/C++ coding.
    What should you require to begin with this platform ?

5. simkard

simkard New Member

Pretty sure you might need identifying pinout for FIRE / + / - buttons and the screen type & pinout too.
    Anything else needed ?

6. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Everything about pinout can be found in OEM firmware, so this is not a problem at all.
    Ideally, I would have one of these three box mods, but due to war in my country, first, I can't afford to buy it, and second - I don't know where to find them, they're pretty old boxes :)
    I have some Nuvotons (Cuboid Lite and Ravage), but there is different display model. Something can be debugged, but all tests are impossible. If you want to do some tests, we can risk :D

simkard likes this.
  7. simkard

simkard New Member

Oh my … I didn’t thought about the fact that you may be impacted by this war.
    Sorry ‘bout that, I hope things will get better in the upcoming times, but for sure, war is never a good thing.

Anyway, I’m not that much familiar with IDA for debugging/reverse engineering codes but for sure I’m used to learn things fast.
    If you want me to proceed to something, please ask ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

I'm from Ukraine. It's not a secret, just was never told before.
    I'll get started, and when I need to check or test something on your device (hope you have the Tinker?), I'll PM you. Thanks ;)

9. simkard

simkard New Member

no prob, feel free to ask.
    For now, I’m waiting for my Tinker to arrive beginning of next week.
    Actually I had a chance on a last one residing somewhere in a shop in my country (France) … just before I was using a Reuleaux RX200 with ArcticFox and I loved it so much that when I lost it, I was totally in need of finding a 3x18650 for multiple reasons.
    Anyway, I already took a lot of looks on the UI of the Tinker and I’m pretty sure it can be well better with a lot of lacking features.
    So yeah, I’m never done with modding these small devices that can do a lot better than what they were made for initially … just can’t help myself with that !

maelstrom2001 likes this.
  10. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

I don't know, if it better, but UI will look the same as for other 80x160 displays :)

[​IMG]

11. simkard

simkard New Member

Is that RedPanda UI ?
    I never saw it, was just using ArcticFox for now.
    Is this skinable ?

12. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

It's hybrid. Graphics engine from RedPanda, ArcticFox configuration with Foxy skin.
    Only color customizable.
    [​IMG]

13. simkard

simkard New Member

Niiice !
    Is it hard to add a skins/templates feature with the ability to choose every values shown ?
    Values could be shown based on multiple options like :
    • Raw value
    • Converted value (using offset/multiplier/etc...)
    • Aggregated value (function based on multiple values like "total battery" which is already existing and based on the X cells onboard)
    Showing these values could be made through multiple items :
    • Raw value
    • Progress bar (vertical/horizontal)
    • Dial / Gauge (full/half/quarter)
    These are some ideas I have as long as we have color screens on some BOX/MOD, it might be nice to enhance this ?

Of course, as usual in coding, this might require some time to build, but anyway, I already did such a thing in the past.
    I might be able to eventually build everything from scratch if this might be interesting ?
    After all, MCU/µC can be anything it wants, as long as the compiler does its job, the code residing behind can be totally portable on multiple architectures.
    I'm used to do this kind of things on ATMELs, ESP32, STM32, etc ... so I'm pretty sure we might be able to build a skinnable UI with different presets for the most common screen resolutions on the market and if at some point there is one specific, anyone could be able to create it for its own resolution (or anyone could be able to modify the existing ones to adapt them to their needs).

As long as the USB port of boards allow direct communication with the MCU/µC and that we can flash them how many times we need to do some testing, I can give it a chance to build everything from scratch :)

14. simkard

simkard New Member

You triggered my curiosity, now I’m looking to find another MOD to work my tests on.
    Need it to have the avatar chipset (Nuvoton M452) with a similar screen (in terms of color and pixels/resolution).
    From now, seems like there are some models, but can’t find their screen resolutions anywhere :-/
    Best option seems to be “iStick Power 2” from eLeaf.
    Any advice on a model to play my tests on ?
    I’m looking to build a custom firmware from scratch so I need a cheap model similar in terms of H/W.

15. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

AFAIK,
    is not firmware upgradable.

16. simkard

simkard New Member

That’s just a matter of wiring on the board isn’t it ?

17. maelstrom2001

maelstrom2001 Developer
    NFE Team

Who knows. I have no desire to deal with this. JWEI is dead for us.

18. simkard

simkard New Member

Hello !

I’ve just received my new (from 2018) Tinker 300W !!!
    Everything working fine, looking forward to know what I should do on this MOD to get things/tests started.
    As soon as you’ll be ready =]