Wismec RX Gen3 Dual - odd resistance behavior

Discussion in 'Issues' started by k3rb3r05, Aug 13, 2019.

1. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 New Member

Device: Wismec RX Gen3 Dual
    Hardware version: 1.00
    Firmware: 190624
    Profile set up: TC
    Coil: SS316L / 30 awg / 7 wraps / spaced / 2.5 ID
    # of coils: 1
    -----------------------
    PI Regulator: Disabled
    TCR: 125 (dry cotton test @ 410 F)
    Smart: Enabled / 10%
    -----------------------

In AF, I have set (and locked) cold resistance at 1.050 (steam engine says coil is at 1.046 ohms and my ohm meter reads it at 1.05 ohms)

Issues:

1) If I remove atty and reinsert it, it goes into "Profile Selection" screen. 1 of 2 things will happen.
    a) If I let screen time out, I get to keep my resistance setting of 1.05. Screen displays live resistance but upon tapping fire button, resistance changes to 1.05
    b) If I tap the "Fire" button, I lose my resistance setting and it gets replaced by live resistance at that time (even though profile selection screen lists the resistance at 1.05)
    Figured this one out. It was due to smart and resistance being read outside the 10% range
    BUT
    Shouldn't pressing "fire" keep the settings?

2) With cold resistance setting of 1.05, when I tap the fire button, screen shows the resistance jumping from 1.05 to current live resistance. The lowest I get is 1.18 but each subsequent fire tap will increase the initial jump to the current live resistance (1.05 -> 1.19, 1.05 -> 1.20, 1.05 -> 1.22, and so on).

3) Catch 22. If I lock resistance to:
    a) 1.05 and set 2W (!!!) / 220 C (or 428 F) ceiling , as soon as I tap fire (or within a 1”-2”), I reach ceiling and beyond, ie 260 C (or 500 F).
    (Note: I get a weird spike of 760 C (or 1400 F) using the following: 1.05R/5W/180 ceiling)
    b) 1.15 and set 5W / 220 C, I never hit ceiling. Max temp reached is 170​

Obviously, (b) produces far better flavor throughout the vape. (a) cuts off too soon resulting in nearly no flavor/vapor. Also, while in (b), if I remove and reinsert atty, it doesn’t go into profile selection screen.

EDIT:
    Stock firmware version 1.02 reads resistance @ 1.13-1.15

#1 k3rb3r05, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 New Member

From an older thread in "issues"

So, the problem isn't the firmware but my box reading resistance wrong? Both atomizer and mod box are brand new. So the lesson of this "ordeal" is to screw on a cold atomizer (which I had) but keep the resistance that the box reads it at and not what steam engine or my ohm reader says it is?

PS: Tried same atomizer on my pico 75w and it reads considerably lower (0.07 ohms)

3. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 New Member

In Advanced , there is a setting that rectifies aforementioned problem: Internal Resistance

Right?

That said, would something like this work? https://forum.evolvapor.com/topic/66031-510-999-pure-copper-mod-resistance-tools/

Is anyone aware of an alternative diy contraption that would have the same result? Could a copper screw have the same effect? Say one from a hardware store. If it's not pure copper, does it matter? and If it does, is there a set value I could offset "internal resistance" by?

4. tim_buktu

tim_buktu New Member

Hi,
    from my experiences with poor internal resitance (eVic Primo) caused by bad construction:
    see here: https://nfeteam.org/forum/threads/primo-v1-reading-coil-resistance-too-high.2605/

You can easily build an zero-ohm-attomizer by yourself. I made it from an useless Cubis that I blocked with 6mm steel screw.
    This shortcut ist good enough to go into AF-Setting "internal resistance" and correct the readings (MOD's display) to the right value: zero.

be careful: If your problem is similar to that I had with the Primo (ohm readings jumping arond the galaxy) this will NOT help and should not be done. If several values differ to much you have a hardware problem -> the MOD needs repair

I hope this helps

k3rb3r05 likes this.
  5. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 New Member

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Other than my cold resistance being off (which i rectified increasing the internal resistance), my live resistance goes up and down by -0.03 to +0.03 difference from my cold resistance , when not being used but from what i understand from reading the forum, it is normal, especially if monitor is running

6. tim_buktu

tim_buktu New Member

I would not use the device monitor. Just shotcut the 510connector anyhow and look at the resistance value on MODs display.
    This value should be stable around zero ohm, NOT jumping +/- 0,03 ohm. If you cannot get it stable and shortcut is quiet good, you may have an internel issue with bad connetions/groundings.

7. tim_buktu

tim_buktu New Member

the Mod must be set to show the LIVE-resistance in one of its TC parameter fields of course :rolleyes:
    good luck

8. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 New Member

Thanks. Seems I'll need it. I am fairly new to TC; just a month old baby. Eventually, I'll get to the bottom of this

Thank god there is AF to compensate for manufacturer's lack of firmware options / information displayed AND forum members to assist new users

9. tim_buktu

tim_buktu New Member

Tell me what is your location means country? If you are german we can easier talk in german forum.