Wismec RX Gen3 Dual - odd resistance behavior

Discussion in 'Issues' started by k3rb3r05, Aug 13, 2019.

1. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 Member

Yes, I know they are the problem. I was only posting the images because I simply didn't think there is room for a second wire
    Would a 48W soldering iron (w/ Temperature dial range 150 - 450°C) be sufficient? ( https://www.devobox.com/en/soldering-irons/296-analog-soldering-station-zd-99-48-w.html )

In your image with the arrow, when you say solder the 510, you mean the silverish (color) threaded part, not the body of the mod (the outer black lip that the 510 is press fitted into), right?

#21 k3rb3r05, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  2. tim_buktu

tim_buktu Member

50 Watts could be a little less, because the aluminum case will act as a heatsink. But you can try to preheat in the oven (about 100°C I would try to start with) or use cooking plate on lowest level as underheating.
    Check if there is an outer coating on the case? Don't heat to much that it melts.
    BUT the the more I think about it and now dobblechecked the details, the more I worry if this realy could work :(
    See picture 4 attached. My idea was to solder a wire (yellow line) to the steal threaded part (you are right, not the body). You should use a wire with AWG 18-20 when doubbling it . This will need a minimum space of 1mm without solder ;)
    Please check the distance between the two parts (red arrow). I'm affraid there will be no space for nothing at all. Everything you place in between could prevent you from closing the case propperly.
    When I were you I would think about the spare part. Is much easier to do and the result will be better, too.
    I found a 510 connector with some measurings (picture 5) to estmate if it can fit.

Attached Files:

3. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 Member

Yes. I have already thought of that. The only way doable, is to drill a hole to the plastic that is big enough for the solder bump + GND wire to fit through. But then, I loose the ability to protect the PCB in case liquid comes pouring down the 510 (which is what that plastic tray in 2nd picture is for. The 2 cut-outs that you see, the white half-moons, lead to the battery compartment, away from the PCB). I am better off getting a normal 510 that blocks liquid from coming down the chimney. Will check measurements some time over the weekend.

just brushed gunmetal. I don't think it melts, does it?

#23 k3rb3r05, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  4. tim_buktu

tim_buktu Member

the color gunmetal seems to be something like a galvanic process result and will probalbly not affected. But there could be clear satin varnishing that covers it. My Espion Solo is coated like so, I can see the difference on parts that are worn off.

Don't worry about the saftey of the PCB. The sparepart 510 will be sealed, too. The more or less tightness depends on how tight a moving (spring loaded) hot pin of a 510 connector even can be. I would question if the original design of the wismec is better sealed.

If you are lucky you wont have to remove all the plastic of the battery compartment. I would drill the as less as possible diameter.

As I am looking for parts for my DIY selfmade MOD, I actually found this:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/3052/10043616/9620834-replacement-bottom-feeder-510-connector-for
    It does not have these groves in the top plate I don't like to have. It is for BF use as well but you could stuff the wire into the tube and solder it in there. edit: 22mm only ☹

#24 tim_buktu, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  5. k3rb3r05

k3rb3r05 Member

I'll put this "project" on ice for the time being. I need a working mod before i start tinkering with the wismec. Got me an espion 200w, but got issues with it (https://nfeteam.org/forum/threads/help-needed-with-a-new-borked-mod-espion-200w.4112/ ) from day 1.

Last time I messed around with the wismec, I applied too much force on one of the screen cover's "ears" (snap ons, or whatever they are called) and tore it off. Good thing it is held in place on top and bottom